News & Events
How to Achieve Academic Excellence
- October 20, 2018
- Posted by: Webmaster2019
- Category: News
The Seminar on ‘HOW TO ACHIEVE ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE’ BY FR. PATRICK AKUNNE, O.P on the 19th of October, 2018 started at 11:00am prompt with an opening prayer
The speaker presented to us some tips on how to achieve academic excellence, how to retain knowledge, how to write Long Essays and finally, examinations. Below are some of the tips to the above listed points:
- You must attend lectures if you want to achieve academic excellence.
- Pay attention and listen carefully during classes.
- Make effort to study the assign text and other texts.
- To study for long you need to watch your activities, what you eat and drink and the time you spend on recreation or relaxation.
- Take time to rest if you want to achieve academic excellence.
- Make a time table and keep to it.
- Study should be deliberate i.e choose to do it and do it well.
- He optimistic about your memory and create your own memory devices like the use of acronyms.
- When writing long essay, learn to start early, avoid procrastination and laziness; search for materials on time; use more of the physical library and depend less on the internet; learn to obey the rules of grammar; choose what is possible and have someone edit your work before submitting it.
- Examination challenges you to produce what you already know, therefore, you should prepare for exams from the beginning of a semester and not wait until exam periods.
- You should not be afraid of exams. Prepare and trust yourself; know your lecturer and what he or she expects; don’t reset exam questions and avoiding examination malpractice.
The speaker concluded by saying that to achieve academic excellence, you need to be disciplined, focused and reflective. He advised us to strive for ‘purity of heart’, to avoid distractions, bitterness; to choose our friends wisely; not to be discouraged by failure but to keep working hard and lastly, to pray.
After this was questions and answers, followed by vote of thanks by the SUG president… and closing prayer followed… It ended with a light refreshment